TV proves its digital influence again as Monterosa's new Play-Along app for Cue The Music TV show hits the No. 1 App Store spot in Portugal
Mobile is killing TV, or so they say. This week TV proved yet again that it has the power to instantly impact mobile behaviour at great scale. In Portugal, our Play-Along app for FremantleMedia's new interactive gameshow Cue The Music, hit the App Store top spot, as soon as the show premiered.
The show achieved excellent ratings and hit the #1 Twitter trend during the broadcast, and the app is the most popular in the country this week.
Agarra a Música as it's known in Portugal, airs on Portuguese commercial broadcaster SIC. The show achieved excellent ratings and hit the #1 Twitter trend during the broadcast, and the app is the most popular in the country this week.
While media consumption is changing so rapidly, there is still no other media channel capable of such rapid impact. Broadcasters have a finite window to utilise this power for their own long-term benefit, and for their brand partners. Actively building digital audiences on both owned and monetisable platforms should be a key priority for all mainstream broadcasters. Those digital products can of course be owned VOD and SVOD apps, but fans of entertainment and sport do more than watch passive video. Just look at Snapchat or Instagram or Facebook Messenger.
First aired in Sweden, and created by former American Idol Executive Producer Per Blankens, Cue The Music is a lively mix of celebrities, physicality and live play-along gaming where audiences at home can answer the music questions in sync with the TV show.
FremantleMedia are taking the show to other countries over 2017 and will be featuring the format at MIP in April.
The Monterosa Play-Along product
Here is a preview of the Swedish version of the app in action.
- The iOS and Android app is a version of Monterosa's Play-Along solution, running on our LViS interaction platform.
- It uses audio fingerprinting to achieve perfect sync with the show as it's broadcast.
- Addressing the growing use of time-shifted video, the app also supports playing-along on-demand.
- Live LViS-powered leaderboards are injected into the show, giving people at home the chance to get their name on TV.
- The app supports a rich variety of advertising inventory and brand integration including ads that sync with TV, competitions, lead generation and data capture.